Sleipnir Wind Meter Measures Velocity & Direction
***WORKS WITH IPHONE 7 LIGHTNING SOCKET CONVERTER***
Smart Wind Meters
***WORKS WITH IPHONE 7 FREE LIGHTNING SOCKET CONVERTER***
Vital for any fisherman, sailor, powerboater, drone pilot, weather watcher or kite surfer. Measures wind direction and velocity directly through your smartphone—no internet needed!
Smartphone wind meters use the electronics within your smartphone to turn it into an extremely precise meteorological device. The Sleipnir design is compatible with a wide range of smartphones; read on for the full list of compatible devices.
Features and benefits of Vaavud wind meters:
- Measures wind velocity from approximately 4 to 80 knots (2 to 40 m/s) in 30 seconds
- Measures wind direction in both cardinal and degrees
- Accurately measures wind direction and wind velocity with a +/- 4% error
- Reliable technology – built in electronic sensor. The internal optic sensor records 44,100 measurements per second allowing for extreme accuracy.
- Durable construction
- Excellent App interface – download for free here from ITunes and Google Play
- New Kitesurf App
- App Store (US)
- Android App
- Does not require internet connection to read wind velocity and direction
- Neoprene storage bag included
- Compact, rugged design
Only works with iOS 8 and above
- Apple iPhone: 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 7 Plus
- Apple iPad: 2, 3, 4, Air, Air 2, Mini 1, Mini 2
Only works with Android 4.0 and above.
- Samsung Galaxy: S2, S3, S4, S4 Mini, Alpha, S5, S5 Mini, S5 Active, S6, S6 Edge, Note 3, Note 4, S7, S7 Edge
- Samsung: Mega 6.3, Tab Pro
- Asus: Nexus 7
- Verizon: Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5
- HTC: One (M7)
- Motorola: Moto G 3rd gen, Moto X, Droid X, Droid Maxx
- Huawei: Nexus 6P
- LG: Nexus 5, G2, G3
- OnePlus: One
- Crosscall: Trekker-X1
How it works
Vavuud designed the Sleipnir—aka the smartest anemometer—by adding the function to measure wind direction and velocity. These smartphone wind meters use the phone’s audio jack as an alternative to magnetic field technology, resulting in a faster frequency that operates at speeds roughly 1000x quicker than regular phone compasses.
Two sine waves give power from the jack to transmit an infrared beam through the outer surface and into the centre. The top of the wind meter rotates and blocks the infrared beam with evenly spaced ‘teeth’, which transmits a pattern to the phone for an app to calculate the gaps in time. Quicker rotation results in shorter time between beeps.
The asymmetric rotor of the Vaavud wind meters for sale in our online boating shop are designed with a hole in the blades; this causes the rotation to be faster or slower at some moments and the subsequent pattern is analysed by the phone.
One hurdle to clear with measuring direction is that the device needs to be as light as possible to allow it to accelerate and decelerate correctly. The wings are only 0.4mm thick with structurally agile ridges, and the device needs to be balanced faultlessly to account for up to 100 revolutions per second: the smallest imbalance will negatively affect measurements.
The Vaavud app:
The Vaavud app shows you a clear summary of maximum, actual and average wind speed along with a graph that is updated in real time—the first in the world on a hand held anemometer!
Unit of measurement can be changed with a tap to m/s, km/h, mph, kts and bft.
New features are constantly added to the App.
|Unit Of Measure||ea|