Dyneema Core Halyards - 10% off at CheckoutClick Here
CHOOSING THE CORRECT MARINE ROPE
What marine rope is right for you
1. Dyneema (UHMPE) has the highest strength of any rope and is traditionally used as a braided core, covered with diamond double braid polyester for easy handling. Dyneema has a significant price premium and is recommended for halyards, replacing traditional stainless steel wire.
Did you know? All breaking and safe working loads are quoted for white filaments only. When a filament is coloured, the yarn is first treated before dyeing. This process can reduce breaking and safe working loads by as much as 20%. It is common practice for manufacturers/retailers to quote breaking loads for pure white ropes across their range, no matter what percentage of coloured fibre is used. In double braided style ropes, the core is always white for maximum strength. Whitsunday Discount Marine quotes average breaking and safe working loads across the colour spectrum for a more realistic value.
1. Twisted Rope or Laid Rope is a type of rope consists of several strands of fibre twisted together. Each strand is also twisted from smaller strands. The strength of the rope will be determined by the number of strands and also the type of fibre. Twisted rope can further be classified as follows:
- Three-strand: this line consists of three strands. The most popular stranded rope and is easy to splice.
- Four Strand: this line is made from four instead of the usual three strands.
- Multiple strands or cable laid line: the line comprises of more than four strands making it extremely strong.
- Solid braid: This line is very strong and won’t fray after cutting. Very hard to splice.
- Diamond Braid – no core: this is the simplest type of braided line. Since it doesn’t have a core, splicing the ropes is relatively easy.
- Diamond Braid - with core: this line comes with a solid core thus making it quite strong. Splicing is harder than with diamond braid-no core. This is the strongest and most reliable of all braided ropes. This type of double braided rope is used exclusively by Whitsunday Discount Marine.
The majority of rope sold in the North American leisure marine market is nylon. The majority of rope sold in the European and Australian leisure marine market is polyester.
The below table illustrates the most popular rope's relative strength.